Monday, January 10, 2011

The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

It's Jackson, Mississippi and the year is 1962. This is right before Martin Luther King leads the March on Washington. Jackson is a tense place. Especially if you're black.

But in the midst of it all, three women decide to do something extraordinary, they decide to tell the truth - the truth of what it's like to be a black maid, serving white folk. Some of it's pretty, about how they get extra money come Christmastime, how they love the children they look after, and how they are grateful to have a job in hard times.

The rest of it? It isn't so pretty, the condecension, abuse, humiliation, the segregation -- from the grocery stores they shop in to the bathroom they are allowed to use in their homes, and... how those little ones they looked after and loved? Those little ones grow up, and turn out just like their parents - full of hatred and bigotry.

This story isn't like others though, this story is written from 3 different point of views, with feeling, hatred and love, it's personal, and gives a refreshingly new view on what many of the people living in the south felt at that time. It's about The Help.

4 comments:

The Hugel's said...

This helped me want to read it I haven't been big on reading lately I feel so overwhelmed! I think I will come get the book from you tonight so I can see your wall! yay I am a follower!

Dani said...

LOVED this book .. would read again anytime! :)

Tamey said...

Mike's mother bought me this for Christmas and it just came in the mail on Saturday! I'm so excited to read it but am in the Peter and the Starcatchers series right now!

Julia said...

Great Book. I can't wait to talk about it in Book Club.