Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Vampire Kisses, The Beginning

Hands-down the most witty book I have read in a while. I love it, just read this excerpt and you will see why...

Halfway through kindergarten I tried to become a vampire. TrevorMitchell, a perfectly combed blond with weak amber eyes, was my nemesis from the moment I stared him down when he tried to cut in front of me on the slide.
He hated me because I was the only kid that wasn’t afraid of him. The kids and teachers kissed up to him because his father owned most of the land their houses sat on. Trevor was in a biting phase, not because he wanted to be a vampire like me, but just because he was mean. He had taken pieces of flesh out of everyone but me. And I was starting to get ticked off!
We were on the playground, standing by the basketball hoops, when I pinched the skin of his puny little arm so hard I thought blood would squirt out. His face turned beet red. I stood motionless and waited. Trevor’s body trembled with anger, and his eyes swelled with vengeance as I mischievously smiled back. Then he left his dental impressions in my expectant hand. Mrs. Peevish was forced to sit him against the school wall, and I happily danced around the playground, waiting to transform into a vampire bat.
“That Raven is an odd one,” I overhead Mrs. Peevish saying to another teacher as I skipped past the crying Trevor, who was now throwing a fit against the hard blacktop. I blew him a grateful kiss with my bitten hand.
I wore mywound proudly as I got on the school swing. I could fly now, right?

No comments: