Saturday, December 11, 2010

Beauty, A Retelling of the story of Beauty & The Beast, by Robin McKinley

I read this story for the first time in second grade. But, trust me, it's a book that is amazing no matter what age you read it. This is a retelling like you've never read before.
This is the story of Beauty, a girl who grows up by the sea, lives with her wealthy family, and has two beautiful and kind older sisters. But, Beauty is anything but beatiful, she is awkward, sallow faced, with big hands and feet.
Her fathers shipping business goes bankrupt and their family is forced to travel to the forest to live.
The story takes a twist when her father returns home from a trip with tales of a wild beast, living in a castle in the forest beyond their home, and, in order for the fathers' life to be spared, one of his daughters must go, willingly to live with the beast. Forever.
But nothing is as it seems...

1 comment:

utah-aoeu said...

This was the first "fantasy" genre book I read. I was strictly sci-fi until I got married. My wife had bookshelves full of robin mckinley, among others, and one day I just picked this up and started reading.

Perhaps because it was my first, it still remains my favorite fantasy genre book. I had no idea what I was missing for all those years that I read sci-fi.